Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Chrono Trigger Review


#1: Chrono Trigger
1995

At last, we finally reach the grand finale of my Top 50 SNES Games. It’s about time! Really. Chrono Trigger is a time-traveling RPG about a group of ragtag misfits trying to prevent the apocalypse. Chrono is not only my favorite game on the SNES; it's also my #1 favorite game of all time. And that’s saying a lot, especially from a learned gaming guru like myself. In fact, this game is so incredibly incredible, I don’t think I could possibly do it justice by myself, so I've invited six guests to help me review the game. Men and gentleladies, meet Crono, Lucca, Marle, Robo, Frog and Ayla. Who wants to get the Roly rolling here?






Marle: Oh! Me-me-me-me-me! I wanna go first! This game totally has the hottest graphics. Everything is soooooo detailed. The characters in our game are like, double the size of a Final Fantasy sprite, which means we are waaaay more attractive. The locations are beautiful, too. If I could live anywhere make-believe, it would be the kingdom of Zeal, a floating island in the clouds. Talk about gorgeous! Even the game’s concept art is fab. Chrono Trigger makes other SNES games look like they aren’t wearing makeup.





Lucca: Okay, okay, enough from the beauty queen. Graphics aren’t everything in a game! In fact, I’d say they’re the least important aspect. Let’s talk about something more insightful, like the writing. Chrono boasts a fantastic story full of colorful characters and rich dialogue. You play as Crono, a young redheaded punk who lives happily in the present day until one of my wacky inventions accidentally send him back to the medieval era! Shortly afterward, we find another time gate into the post-apocalyptic future, where we discover the exact date the world will end. But get this: the Armageddon won’t happen in our lifetime. It won’t even come for another thousand years. But we decide to save the world, not for ourselves, but for the future generations. It’s a deep, inspirational story, and if it doesn’t bring tears to your eyes, you’re probably a robot. No offense, Robo!





Robo: None taken, miss Lucca. Although I am unable to feel the emotions necessary to fully appreciate this game, I can assure you that it does achieve the highest numerical ratings in every eligible category. The Makers have crafted a work of unequivocal perfection. The most unique aspect of the game’s design is how the player’s decisions have a cause and effect throughout other time periods. You may not know it, but this game’s A.I. is watching you, and all the little decisions you make will come back to haunt or reward you later on. Murdering a character also kills all their would-be ancestors, while planting a seed in the past creates a vast forest in the future. The game features a dozen different endings based on when you choose to fight Lavos, the game’s primary antagonist. Endings range from happy to tragic to hilarious to downright disturbing -- to humans, anyway. But unlike open-ended sandbox games, it’s a linear game with a very comfortable pace. You will never be worried about missing anything, for you can freely explore the six time periods at your own -- excuse me. What are you doing, miss Ayla? Why are you fighting me? Where is that music coming from?





Ayla: Dance, Robo, dance! Ayla like music! Chrono music goooood. All different kinds. Fit your time good. Ayla make bouncy bongo beats in homeworld. Ayla boogie to techno in new age. Ayla no like scary strings in middle age. Ayla feel in dream when hear music of magic age. Ayla cry for pianos in Crono's time. Ayla have own song! All have own song! Frog's song reeeeal good! Yummy Frog go now!





Frog: I presume thy lass referreth to myself. Well, being a practiced swordsman of the Middle Ages, I doth find it appropriate that I address our game’s illustrious battle system. Random battles are nay to be found in Chrono Trigger. Enemies can be seen and even avoided by thee. Engaging foes doth not transport you to some non-sequitur battle sequence; thy enemy is fought right where thou’rt found. Spacial relations are critical when choosing thine attack. Some attacks damage all foes on a straight line, while other moves have an area effect or a limited range. Each character is endowed with thine own magical element, such as fire, water or lightning. Characters can even work together to unleash powerful double and triple techniques. Perchance now, thy star of the game would like the honors.





Crono: ......





Magus: Mwahaha! Fools! You won’t get a word out of him! He’s a silent protagonist! That is, other than his two obscure lines in the “slideshow” ending…

Frog: Magus?! What ever art thou doing hither?! Nevertheless, prepare to die, dark wizard! I shall now avenge ye, Cyrus!

Robo: Steady your blade, Frog. We had better hear him out first.

Magus: Much appreciated, Robo. Or should I say, Prometheus. That’s right, I know all your secrets, from princess Nadia’s to yours, Glenn!

Frog: Swine! Dispense with your tongue-lashing before I sever it from your mouth.

Magus: Very well then. Being the game's one and only secret character, I have chosen to speak of the game's many hidden delights. Is there nothing more satisfying than discovering that which few others do? This game is full of secrets, side-quests and mini-games, many of which I’m sure these pathetic heroes missed. Chrono Trigger is a game with infinite replay value, not only due its twelve different endings, but because you can only have three of the seven characters in your party at once. Since each of them say something completely different in every scene, it’s fun to go back and switch up your teammates to try and hear all the delicious dialogue, especially mine! Beating the game unlocks New Game+, which allows you to go back in time to the beginning of the game while keeping your current status and level. Thus, you can begin the game so overpowered that even the game’s bosses can be easily slain -- ‘tis the only way you'll stand a chance against me! New Game+ makes it much easier to unlock all the game’s endings, one of which I would very much like to discuss in particular, as the average player will never see it. It is both the hardest ending to achieve and the most rewarding. Choosing to face Lavos at the very outset of the game gives the player a chance to actually meet the bright, backroom boys who created the game. This may not sound like much of an Easter egg in light of all the bonus content present in today’s games. But yesteryear’s games were such a one-way conversation, it was truly a treat to rip that curtain aside and meet the wizards behind it, especially Squaresoft’s dream team of yore. Time has proved powerless against Chrono Trigger, and there's no doubt in my mind it will forever remain a beloved masterpiece.





No comments:

Post a Comment