Friday, January 28, 2011

Star Trek Generations Review


Star Trek Generations
1994

After a lengthy prologue showing how Kirk was killed by a mysterious energy ribbon called the “Nexus,” we jump 78 years later, where the Enterprise is now run by The Next Generation crew (the third television series), including Jean-Luc Picard, Data and the rest, whose names I don’t care to remember. With the help of some evil Klingons, a bad guy named Soran (not to be confused with Sauron) attempts to actually get inside the Nexus. This film served as the bridge between the old series and the new, or should I say, the first and the second. The theme was Time -- which seems promising, but trust me, it turns out to be a waste of just that. For starters, I didn’t care for the new crew. I actually found myself missing the old characters -- one of the same complaints I had of the new Star Wars films. And talk about reusing old concepts! Klingon villains again? Really? Aren’t there any other races in the Trek universe? The android character, Data, was learning to understand emotions just like Spock was. The villain wanted to “join” with something strange and unknown just like in episodes I and V. And I lost track of how many cheesy shots there were of the Starfleet crew reacting to an attack on the ship, bouncing around the rooms while the camera had a seizure… don’t they have seatbelts on starships? We’ve seen this all before. The filmmakers were still squeezing a dry sponge. The one great scene came when they finally got inside the Nexus -- think your own personal Matrix where life is absolutely perfect to provide maximum happiness. Too bad the rest of the film had the opposite effect. 1.5/5 stars.

Warp to my Star Trek: First Contact Review

No comments:

Post a Comment