Friday, January 28, 2011

Star Trek: Nemesis Review


Star Trek: Nemesis
2002

Following a political coup, a mysterious young Reman leads a group of Romulans in an attempt to destroy earth with a new biogenic weapon. Wow, look at that title. That’s easily the worst in the series. They might as well have called it, Star Trek: The Bad Guy or Star Trek: The Phantom Menace. So, right from the title screen, I wasn’t expecting much. But the opening scene was an awesome, C.G.I.-laden assassination, similar to episode VI. Then there’s a cheesy wedding scene that features a joke-telling Picard, a singing Data and a drunk Worf. None of it’s funny. Then there’s an awesome chase scene between high-speed jeeps on a desert planet. Then we meet an “evil twin” of Picard and a prototype of Data named B-4 (get it?), both of whom have a knack for atrocious dialogue. Then there’s another awesome action scene as Picard fights his way out of the enemy starship. Get the idea? The visuals are top-notch; the writing is not. The “destiny” theme was interesting in the one scene it was mentioned in. I wish they would have gone deeper with it. Much like the ending of Search for Spock, I totally thought I saw a great twist coming at the end, but again, it didn’t happen! Nemesis was entertaining, but ultimately just another blockbuster. I’ve never heard it put this way before, but I think of this film, along with the two previous episodes, as a “trilogy” of their own, though it’s definitely sub par to the first trilogy. 3/5 stars.

Warp to my Star Trek (2009) Review

1 comment:

  1. I think the problem with Nemesis other the name of it was the realization that Brent Spiner wasn't an android. He really did show his age in this movie, and I think the writers were more worried about bringing things to an end, then they were about the beginning of something new.

    ReplyDelete